Saturday 5 April 2014

Why I like Geography

Why do I like geography? Simple answer:Map reading
Maps are informative and useful in many circumstances.
1) Maps help the tourist to find his way to a sightseeing spot or places or interests.
2) Maps shows us the boundaries of districts, counties, provinces,countries etc. Gives us an identity of who we are on earth(and in the universe for galaxial maps)
3) Maps can be shown with additional plastic inserts for GDP, population, forest cover etc. Particularly useful for companies who are exploring the area for good business opportunities.

Wait, there is more to Geography than that.
1) Geology
Tells us how the land we live in is formed over billions of years. Tells us what type of rock our land is made of-particularly useful for construction companies to determine if a site is suitable for long-term building construction.
2)Climate
Tells us the weather extremes of an area, local temperature and wind directions. Useful for tourists to determine if they need to wear sweaters, jackets, winter clothing or simply T-shirts on their holidays.
3)Forestry
Tells us about the rich biodiversity in our catchment areas, rainforests and other areas. Shows us the usefulness of different types of plants to our health, as food, fuelwood, chemicals etc.

And much, much more.
So if you think Geography is a dry subject, think again. Geography is really a huge world out there. If you feel bored start by tracing your way to your next destination. You will find geography very useful to you.

Note: Once again, as a busy student, I have no time to read or reply to your comments. If I had unintentionally criticised anyone in my post please accept my sincere apologies. No criticising of others(including me) on my blog as this blog is meant for constructive discussion. Once again, thank you for reading my posts and I wish you a present year ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment